In selective laser sintering (commonly known as “SLS” or “LS”), 3D parts are created by fusing (“sintering”) powdered materials with an infrared laser beam. The result is strong, durable and machinable parts with thermoplastic material properties similar to those of injection molded prototypes.
Our Selective Laser Sintering Work
The use of selective laser sintering prototyping (commonly called SLS prototyping or 3D SLS prototyping) is ideal for product prototypes that require exceptional strength, or must closely approximate the properties of thermoplastics.
In selective laser sintering (SLS), three-dimensional parts are created by fusing (“sintering”) powdered thermoplastic materials such as nylon and elastomers with the heat from an infrared laser beam. Thin powder layers are repeatedly laser sintered, creating the desired 3D piece based on a 3D CAD model.
Watch a video of SLS:
There are several key differences between prototypes created using selective laser sintering (SLS) and prototypes created with stereolithography (SLA). These include:
- Prototype strength: SLS prototypes are generally stronger and more durable than SLA prototypes.
- Material properties: SLS allows product prototypes to be created with material properties similar to those of injection molded prototypes.
- Surface finish: SLS prototypes have a slightly grainy finish, unlike SLA prototypes, which are smoother.
- Machining properties: It is easier to machine prototypes created using SLS than those created using SLA.
- Material choice: SLS allows for product prototypes in many different thermoplastic materials.
- Metal product prototypes: SLS can be used to create metal prototype parts using metallic powder in the laser sintering process. See the Metal Prototyping page for more information on metal SLS options.
- Post-completion processing: There is typically very little (if any) processing required after the SLS process is completed.
Typical SLS Use Cases
|Machine prototypes||Form/fit models||Architectural models|
|Performance testing||Design verification||Click here to see available finishes.|